Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Where do we go from here?

Since the family by this time is "decentralized," I will progress with the story of me and mine! Jim and I married in 1963.  Roy and Jann married in 1965.  They moved to California right away. Ginger and Paul married in 1967 (I think).  Paul had a house in Prairie Village that had a pool. They moved to California, but I cannot say when it was. I know they were in California when Roy Alan was born in 1969.

 Shortly after Lauren was born in March, 1966, Mom and Becky and Jan came to Kansas City. I think I convinced Mom that the schools here were better, but in reality, I wanted her here to help me with Lauren.  I went to work for Southwestern Bell when Lauren was six weeks old. No, she was NOT sleeping through the night! There were times when I spent my coffee break napping!The job with Bell was Service Representative.  At the time, I thought that the training for that position would never do me any good.  I wanted a "real" job like nurse, or accountant-a job where the title said what the job was. It turned out that "customer service" in various iterations was what I did for most of the next 35 or so years!

I started to work for The Lynn Insurance Group (Universal Underwriters) in 1974. I was there until I retired in 1999. David was born in 1980, and believe me, it was  much different than when Lauren was born.  I was paid my salary during the time I was off, about 2 months, I think, and the medical bills were paid by insurance. Of course, the medical bills were about 10 times what they were in 1966!

1 comment:

  1. I recall at the time of your retirement that 25 years seemed like a 'forever' to spend at one job. Now, it seems like a 'blink'.

    ReplyDelete