By this time, Becky and Jan probably have their own version of what went on...as they were about six and eight. However, my version is...In October, 1963, Jim Fulton and I married at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Kansas City, Kansas. Ginger was my maid of honor,and Becky and Jan were ring bearer and flower girl.
The dresses that Becky and Jan wore had long sashes and after we got dressed before the ceremony, we asked them to please not sit down. They didn't and later, w-a-a-a-y after the ceremony, one of them came to me and asked if they could please sit down now? They were so good and so eager to make everything come out right!
Jim and I lived at Roe Village (now known as the Boulevard Apartments) and I was still flying. Jim and Jere Lehman decided to go into business and opened Barnell Imports in downtown Overland Park. The address was 7945 Santa Fe Drive. Jere had connections in the clothing business and in addition to imported gifts in the front of the store, there were clothing samples for sale in the back part.
In addition, they opened a store in Sedalia in the NEW (then) Thompson Hills Shopping Center. The store was the Carriage House. Very classy, I must say! To make a long story short..it seems that Jere was taking things that did not belong to him and before long the operation was in deep doo-doo! After making a settlement agreement with the clothing manufacturers, we paid $100 a month to the Johnson County National Bank for a long, long time! (For perspective, when I went to work for Southwestern Bell when Lauren was 6 weeks old, I was making $78 weekly.)
Before all the stuff hit the fan, Jim and I bought a house at 6500 W 79th Street. We paid $17,250 for a 3 bedroom house on a corner lot with a detached garage. Actually, the garage was sort of attached as the covered patio connected it to the house. We used the savings bonds that his grandfather Fulton had given over the years and along with that, his folks co-signed. We lived there when Lauren was born in 1966.
Pretty amazing - all of it! Thanks for putting your memories down. These are priceless! Lauren
ReplyDeleteI think that wedding may still be the 'fanciest' event that I have ever attended!
ReplyDelete