Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Fall, 1959

I know that we were at Aunt Ruth's when I left for Lawrence as I remember packing there.  I was really ignorant of what was coming. When Aunt Arlene and Uncle Bob gave me a set of towels for a high school graduation, I was puzzled...I did not realize that I would need them at college. I guess this is another one of those times when I did not know what was going on, but managed to fake it.  In retrospect, since my close friends had older siblings, they had been through the "getting ready for college" thing so it was not all new. It was probably a good thing that I was going to work in the cafeteria at the dorm.  I had to be there early for training, and as it always has, work gave me some structure for time management.

Enrollment was simple.  Lots of lines, but very orderly.  I was in two honors classes, Honors English and Honors Sociology.  Since English and Sociology were part of the Freshman Flunk Out "program," I was fortunate to be in the smaller classes that were taught by a full professor rather than a graduate student.

Now, this is not really family history.  Since I was in Lawrence and the rest of the family was in G'burg, my insight as to what was going on was via letters from Mom and Ginger.  I have a lot of them...and a lot of the letters that I wrote to them.  Mom kept a lot of things!!

2 comments:

  1. I just spent the last hour going back and reading all your entries.
    Three words...I love it! and you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first enrolled at KU, I stood in line to get the cards for the classes I wanted, but I didn't know that you had to turn them in somewhere. I just kept them and then wondered why I was not on any of the class rosters, on the first day of classes...

    ReplyDelete